Subject: Re: Proposal: A Registry Browser GUI tool

----- Original Message -----
From: Nicholas Kassem <nick.kassem@eng.sun.com>
To: David RR Webber <Gnosis_@compuserve.com>
Cc: ebXML poc <ebxml-poc@lists.ebxml.org>
Sent: Thursday, September 14, 2000 12:45 AM

> Please see my comments.
>
> Nick
>
> At 08:55 PM 9/13/2000 -0400, David RR Webber wrote:
> >Message text written by Farrukh Najmi
> > >
> >My thought was that the tool would use ebXML TRP Messaging for exactly that
> >reason.
> >
> >Nicholas Kassem wrote:
> >
> > > Getting back to the original question. I think having a regrep client
> >(i.e.
> > > tool) would be very nice particularly if it used ebXML TRP. I think this
> > > could solve another problem we have, namely that there is talk in some
> > > quarters that ebXML TRP is not suitable for B2C. I don't subscribe to
> >this
> > > notion and it would be very good if we could dispel this myth. Thoughts ?
> > >
> > > Nick
> > ><
> >
> >OK - I view this somewhat differently.  TRP are using http / MIME based
> >interchanges.  I see that RegRep can follow that same approach - but
> >quiessentially the interaction model is different here, and therefore
> >the envelope structures and dialogues are too.
>
> Interesting - yes clearly we see this differently. How a regrep client
> accesses the regrep service should be no different than any other
> ebXML  Business Process. The regrep client is simply a specialized BP with
> specific QoS (from the underlying MS) requirements. I believe this is what
> was stated in the very early days of ebXML.

Nick is correct, the MS was designed to support RPC like behavior where a party
sends an ebXML Message containing a "REQUEST" which results in an immediate
synchronous or asynchronous "RESPONSE". A scenario related to regrep would
appear as follows:

ebXML message REQUEST: I want your trading partner profile
ebXML message RESPONSE: OK; here it is

In the above scenario the ebXML header document in the REQUEST message
identifies the service (a.k.a. procedure) being invoked, in this case it would
be a regrep service (e.g.  TPINFO) and the payload contains the "call
parameters" (e.g. DUNS Number of trading partner profile being requested). The
RESPONSE contains an ebXML message indicating a SUCCESS status in the ebXML
header document, the payload  contains the requested information (trading
partner profile) in XML (tpaML).

Dick Brooks
http://www.8760.com/