Subject: Re: UNSPSC - whose in charge anyway?

Dear David:

Whatever are you complaining about this time?  The UN/SPSC (United
Nations Standard Products and Services Classification) taxonomy consists
of FOUR levels (Segment, Family, Class, and Commodity) of TWO digit
values - making a total of 8 digits per code, more than enough to
classify the existing 8000 products and services. The UN/SPSC was
developed jointly by the United Nations and Dun & Bradstreet - credible
enough names in the classification biz.   The use of this code system
allows lots of different folks from various industries to harmonize
their classification and description of products and services,
regardless of their own parochial nomenclatures.

"RosettaNet now has Rosetta UNSPSC codes, and then they map those back
to UNSPSC codes."  I've never heard of "Rosetta UNSPSC" codes.   And
probably nobody at RosettaNet has, either.  Are you referring to the
mapping between the UN/SPSC and RosettaNet products and categories?

"Maybe we need an ebXML WG on code tables?"  Maybe we should leave well
enough alone. Let the people who know how to classify goods and services
do what they do best.  Are you looking for work to do?  I never do - I
have raised "work avoidance" to a fine art, and ebXML would be
well-advised to do the same.

William J. Kammerer
FORESIGHT Corp.
4950 Blazer Memorial Pkwy.