ebxml-regrep message

Subject: Re: UNSPSC - whose in charge anyway?

    In North America we now use NAIC industrial classification codes,
replacing the previous SIC codes.  See
The new codes were adopted as part of the NAFTA treaty.

                Frank Olken

David RR Webber wrote:

> These industry classification codes http://www.unspsc.org were
> originally designed for governmental statistical gathering on
> GNP and productivity measuring - stemming from the US NAICS
> codes and similar.
> As with other things they are being pressed into service for XML
> based business transactions.  This appears to be a classic case
> of 'close enough for government use' - but needs more for really
> robust business use.
> Being a 2 digit pair means everything has to fall into one of
> 99 value slots in the bucket.  This is just not reality.
> I'm seeing switching to alphanumeric pairs at least buys you
> a ton more bandwidth.
> But who makes this decision?  Do implementors just go there?
> RosettaNet now has Rosetta UNSPSC codes, and then they
> map those back to UNSPSC codes.  Clearly there's a better way.
> The whole issue here that is not being addressed is code tables
> generally.  Plenty of focus on Schema - but now we moving closer
> to a use model right there, we need to solve this bottom layer
> question definitively - particularly so industry groups evolving
> XML based exchanges have a reference point of contact.
> Maybe we need an ebXML WG on code tables?  Liaison to
> OAG and ISO would make sense - or maybe a joint effort
> between sich bodies?  Its not really a question of
> re-inventing anything - there are plenty of ISO and other
> standards out there - but we do need a central point - and also
> XML'ized versions of these reference tables.  ebXML will provide
> the API - but how is the secretariat?
> Thoughts?
> DW.

 Frank Olken

Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
1 Cyclotron Road, Mailstop 50B-3238
Berkeley, CA 94720

510-486-5891  (office, voice)  510-486-4004  (office, fax)
510-442-7361  (pager)          510-593-3344  (cell phone)
510-843-5145  (home, voice)    URL: http://www.lbl.gov/~olken