Subject: Re: UNSPSC - whose in charge anyway?

Message text written by INTERNET:olken@lbl.gov

David,
    In North America we now use NAIC industrial classification codes,
replacing the previous SIC codes.  See
http://www.census.gov/epcd/www/naics.html
The new codes were adopted as part of the NAFTA treaty.

                Frank Olken

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Yep - and that's the whole point - the US Gov only has NAICS codes
for industries it wants to track - so its not an all inclusive list - which
UN/SPSC codes are looking to be - a neutral list - but at teh top level
they only have 99 slots - so industries are lumped together - like
software engineering, into general engineering - so you end up with
unnatural marriages - becuase the 99 sub-classifications codes are
then not software engineering, and so on.

UN/SPSC is clearly better than NAICS - but it still is not perfect - we
need something better.

D&B is OK in N.Am, but not in Europe, and not for all industries, etc.

Anyway - Bill K. was not looking for work - and neither am I - but the
fact remains this is a key area and that we do need a better
coordinated solution.

Guess I'm just going to have to wait until the concensus 'discovers'
the need for this one too.  You heard it here first.

I was particularly hoping to hear from people who are actually using
UN/SPSC codes right now - and how well they are stacking up
for their industry?

DW.