Subject: Re: Single Registry Interface Proposal (ZIP)

This proposal was discussed by the team during the f2f meeting in Tokyo in the
context of identifying issues and problems with the current specs. The team felt
unanimously with the exception of the submitter that the existing DTDs were
sufficient and adequate and that there was no need to consider these proposed
changes further.

In general the consensus reached was that we have made tremendous progress (3
implementations of current Registry specs were shown at Tokyo POC with any
client to any service inter-operability). That the specs work, is obvious. That
they could be improved and made clearer, is also obvious. The team decided that
we will not restart from scratch. Instead we took an approach to identify holes
in current specs and fill them. During the f2f we filled all holes (there were
very few) identified in the information model spec. Yutaka and I then updated
the spec overnight based on the latest work during the f2f. This was reviewed
the next day and the team reviewed and approved the changes almost
uninanimously) with 1 abstention. This version will be distributed next week and
will go to quality review.

Scott N. also instilled in the team a new sense of urgency to deliver specs
quickly. Again this proposal had unanimous support. Thanks to Scott and Yuta's
leadership we were able to make tremendous progress during the week. I am very
pleased that we now have a phased delivery matrix which clearly defines a
roadmap for what we need to deliver and by when.

The train does not end at Tokyo. Onwards to Vancouver!

Philip Goatly wrote:

> Hello Folks,
>
>     I am new to the forum. I am very disappointed with the above document.
>     If we are going to have any credibilty we MUST describe what we intend
> with clarity.
>     The document is full of unnecessary verbiage and mangled English.
>     Take one example:
>
> " 7) Provide a simple metaphor to migrate and express existing data
> dictionaries and related content such as COBOL copybooks, SQL table
> definitions, CICS structures, program data structures, business data
> dictionaries and similar information content quickly and easily into."
>
>   Help !!!! This is neither grammatical English nor is it comprehensible
> English.
>
>  If part of this document has been prepared by someone whose mother tongue
> is not English, please have it checked by a native English speaker.
> As an alternative let the author write it in their own language, then  have
> it translated by a translator whose mother tongue is English.
>
> Our specifications, and other documents, must be clear and unambiguous. They
> are about communication of a grand plan. If communication fails we are lost.
>
> I am sorry to have to start my membership of  the forum with a rebuke as
> above, because I think the whole initiative is admirable, and greatly
> needed.
>
> I would hate to find the initiative was failing because it is badly
> communicated.
>
> Sorry !!
>
> Cheers, Phil, Goatly (Bolero International Ltd)

Farrukh

begin:vcard
n:Najmi;Farrukh
tel;fax:781-442-1610
tel;work:781-442-0703
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:www.sun.com
org:Sun Microsystems;Java Software
adr:;;1 Network Drive, MS BUR02-302;Burlington;MA;01803-0902;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:najmi@east.sun.com
fn:Farrukh S. Najmi
end:vcard