Subject: RE: UDDI

From a time to market point of view, I do not want RR to engage in a dialog

Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: Matthew MacKenzie
To: Waqar Sadiq
Cc: Krishna Sankar; ebxml-regrep@lists.ebxml.org
Sent: 11/22/00 6:06 PM

Waqar,

The API is still connected very closely to the information model in
UDDI, so it
is easier to get a view of the
info model by looking at the flow of the API calls, for instance, do
some
searches on uddi.microsoft.com and see how parts of the API show
through.  I
know that there only a few basic structures used all though UDDI - the
when and
how is the important part.

-Matt

Waqar Sadiq wrote:

> Matthew,
>
> >I will focus on the UDDI query API, mayve Waqar can look into the
publish
> API.
>
> For the purpose of mapping, we need to focus on the information models
and
> the underlying concepts and data structures rather than on API.  Once
that
> mapping has finished, API's will be very easy.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Waqar Sadiq

If
> the
> ObjectQueryManager was actually (in java parlance) an abstract class
or an
> interface,
> it should be possible to link in any well thought out regrep
> implemementation.
>
> In the case of UDDI,  the "due diligence" needs to be done ASAP so
that we
> can find
> out what RR doesn't support direct mapping to so that RR can offer
> abstractions for
> the currently unsupported functionality, and hopefully we will find
areas
> for the UDDI
> folks to beef up on.
>
> I will focus on the UDDI query API, mayve Waqar can look into the
publish
> API.
>
> Cheers, Happy Holidays to you Americans ;-D
>
> Matt
>
> Krishna Sankar wrote:
>
> > Matt/Waqar,
> >
> >         Yep, designing interoperability as services is my choice. As
Waqar
> pointed
> > out, first we need the two-way mapping and then provide these
services
> which
> > reflect the mapping.
> >
> > <soapbox>
> >
> >         Knowing what we know now (;=]) there will be at least two
registry
> > specifications - UDDI and the ebXML regrep. There could be more in
the
> way.
> > Also we already have clients popping up from various vendors - Bow,
IBM,
> MS
> > et al. We have to assume that all the registry specifications are
> developed
> > by smart people (I know the regrep has smart folks ;-)) and so each
will
> > have it's own advantages. Which means, clients would like to use
*all* of
> > them for different purposes.
> >
> >         The ideal goal would be that the clients are registry
agnostic -
> i.e. both
> > registries can handle both clients. So we need a UDDI personality
service
> > layer for the ebXML regrep and an ebXML regrep personality
layer/services
> > for the UDDI registry. Of course, the concept mapping will show the
> > translation capabilities, synergies and limitations (which could
grow as
> > both the registries mature)
> >
> >         We sure need to map stuff like the classification in the
regrep
> and the
> > IdentifierBag and CategoryBag in UDDI. I would like to see a
deliberate
> > matching of API and the data structures so that we know which goes
*where*
> > and *why*. Inevitably there will be gaps and some assumptions, which
we
> can
> > clarify with the designers like Farrukh and Scott N.
> >
> >         Developing the services would involve working around the
> ebXML/SOAP issues
> > as well.
> >
> > </soapbox>
> >
> >         It will be worthwhile to start the UDDI-regrep concepts
mapping
> and data
> > structure mapping so that we understand the similarities and
differences.
> It
> > is possible this could raise uncomfortableness in some quarters, but
we
> > cannot ignore the elephant(s) in the room ! If we can get a first
cut by
> the
> > first week of December, this would help us at the press conference
as
> well.
> > The UDDI Vs the RegRep question will be asked (by the press) and we
need a
> > decent answer. I hope the answer is interoperability and
co-operation.

> >         Matt/Waqar, if you folks can do the due diligence at the
mapping,
> I could
> > try developing the interoperable services layer. I am almost
thinking of a
> > decorator pattern where the native pass-thru while the hosted calls
get
> > translated and transformed.
> >
> >         On a related note, how would we know if a registry is UDDI ?
The
> only way I
> > can think of is to send an ebXML message and if it throws out the
message,
> > we know it is an UDDI registry !
> >
> >         cheers and have a Happy Thanksgiving

ObjectQueryManager
> > ServiceInterface could be used with the addition of some UDDI
specific
> > actions...
> >
> > Comments?
> >
> > -Matt
> >
> > Krishna Sankar wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > >         For the Vancouver POC, I have proposed and if it get
approved,
> > plan to work
> > > on an interoperable suit for UDDI and ebXML Registry. We have some
> > interest
> > > from Scott H of IBM as well.
> > >
> > >         The idea is to demonstrate a two way interoperability -
UDDI
> > client using
> > > the ebXMl RegRep and an ebXML Registry client using the UDDI
registry.
> > This
> > > exercise will bring out the synergies and differences between the
two as
> > > well.
> > >
> > >         my 2 yens !
> > >
> > >         cheers

SOAP, or
> > > locally
> > > with a client library, and send the response back using TRP.
> > >
> > > example query and response:

> > > --**bound**
> > >
> > > <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> > > <ebXMLHeader MessageType="Normal"
> > >    Version="1.0">
> > >    <Manifest>
> > >       <DocumentReference>
> > >          <DocumentLabel>find_binding_req</DocumentLabel>
> > >      </DocumentReference>
> > >     </Manifest>
> > >     <TPAInfo>
> > >         <ServiceInterface>UDDIQueryManager</ServiceInterface>
> > >         <Action>find_binding</Action>
> > >     </TPAInfo>
> > >   </ebXMLHeader>
> > >
> > > --**bound**
> > >
> > > <find_binding serviceKey="uuid" generic="1.0" maxRows="99"
> > > xmlns="urn:uddi-org:api">
> > >    <findQualifiers/>
> > > </find_binding>
> > > --**bound**--
> > >
> > > ... and the response would have the uddi response XML body in the
> payload.
> > > It
> > > may make sense to modify the ObjectQueryManager to handle UDDI
requests
> > > internally to itself, I am more partial to simply bridging ebxml
and
> UDDI
> > > right
> > > now.  The UDDI API is very straight forward and is very useful for
> > discovery
> > > of
> > > trading partners and processes.  I saw a really neat demo at the
UDDI
> > > workshop
> > > in Redmond of UDDI integration with a procurement app (Great
Plains)
> that
> > > made
> > > good use of this API and registry, I very much hope that we can
work the
> > > UDDI efforts into ebXML, and would be willing to elaborate further
> toward
> > > that
> > > end.
> > >
> > > Cheers,