Subject: RE: Review of thoughts on Ad Hoc Queries

Farrukh, this follow well with the analysis we did in Burlington last week
and the recent postings to the listserv.

I am concerned that some of the recent comments seemed to be moving towards
a custom query syntax.  I don't know what this is about, as one of the ebXML
requirements is to ensure that we reuse existing standards before we
(re)invent them.

I don't see any significant technical difference in a custom query syntax
vs. constrained OQL or XPATH --- each string needs to be parsed and mapped
to the underlying query syntax used by a given implementation.  It does not
prescribe the implementation.  In essence, using OQL is no different than
using UML to model.  I don't execute the UML model, I map it to a
programming language (at least in the current version of UML -- 2.0 may be
executable).

I voted last week for the xpath of least resistance, particularily since I
thought that ebXML members would applaud.  But NO!  Now I am starting to
move back towards OQL since it allows a tighter synergy with the RIM
document and allows us to make only minor editorial changes to the RS ad hoc
section.

(I can only imagine what kind of flame I would get if I recommended Object
Constraint Language -- part of the UML standard itself --- a query is a
constraint).

I move we edit the RS document and get it to a listserv vote on the ad hoc
query section.  Times running out...

Regards,

Scott