Subject: Re: A DBA perspective.

I want to point out that stored procedures are an implementation detail. IN
contrast the methods defined in RIM 0.54 (
http://lists.ebxml.org/archives/ebxml-regrep/200101/msg00086.html )

used by the OQL approach are elements of registry specifications. It should
be noted that the constrained OQL approach could be implemented to map the
speced relationship methods in RIM to stored procedures directly (as an
implementation choice). In my own implementation I personally would stay
clear of stored procedures based on a very long history of having
implemented database engines as well as query processors. They are a
maintainenec nightmare and are not implemented in a standard way across DBMS
(one loses DB portability).

I would instead choose to define methods on implementations of objects (e.g.
ManagedObjectImpl) defined by RIM to return a SQL query as a direct and
simple mapping of the relationship method. The OQL processor would call
these methods to resolve these methods calls to their equivalent SQL
queries. It would then apply any simple global optimization over the query
predicate and then simply pass the resulting SQL query to the relational
database.

The key difference in the 2 approaches being debated is that the constrained
OQL approach is based on standards (SQL, OQL) and is familiar to use for
most implementors, while the custom XML qyery syntax is a home brewed query
language syntax that does not have the strength of years of experience,
review and expert contribution that the former approach does.

Farrukh

David RR Webber wrote:

> Michael,
>
> Reading your replies below I'm concerned that there is a major
> disconnect here.   I am grappling with the metrics here and perhaps
> I can layout some so that I can see the differences correctly?
>
> My particular view is based on a high level conceptual business
> functional view, coupled with nearly 25 years of working with
> literally every major database system on the planet, in some of the
> largest installations on the planet, and then some research stuff
> nobody has ever heard of - plus now working for a
> vendor of a leading XML search tool - and having evaluated
> much of the XML competition head-to-head.
>
> So - where does this all take us?  I'd like to think we can deliver
> something here that is completely implementation agnostic.
> Therefore to achieve that means explicitly NOT diving down into
> specific foobarSQL or foobarXML, or whatever syntax specifics.
> Letting go of that - and saying - what business functional API
> should we expose?
>
> On the one hand we have been told - ad hoc querying - query
> anything you like.
>
> Hard experience is teaching us, and showing us here, that
> this does not work.  Why?  First of all - users will need to
> have far too much knowledge of the internals of the
> Registry information model - and frankly this stuff is non-trivial
> to ingest - as can be seen from your comments below -
> stating this won't work, and that won't work - but this is
> HIGHLY dependent on the information content itself and
> how it is structured.  Sometimes it may work, sometimes
> not - depending who built the underlying coupling and how.
>
> I suspect the only people running true ad hoc queries
> will be the DBA's inside the firewall of the registry host - and
> then we do not care what query language they pick for that!
>
> So what is the solution?   I believe we do need to listen to
> the DBA world - and that stored procedures that have
> documented behaviour just plain makes sense.
>
> Yes you end up with a ton of these.  Ever seen the
> library the average DBA has?   Bottom line is the
> END USERS could not care less - all they want is
> business results - and they do not want to have to
> understand all the internals to get them - and frankly
> neither do I at this point!
>
> I've been in those trenches long enough - build SQL
> for Oracle, Sybase, SQLServer, DB2, and having to
> tweak statements to make them work across
> implementations, and then have switch statements
> inside of stored procedures for this that and the other.
>
> But at the end of the day - the end user invokes the
> stored procedure - passes in the business values
> they want to query on - and gets the results.  To them
> it should just be an API.
>
> Also - notice we should NOT be trying to solve world
> hunger.   This is version 1.0 - there is still so much
> that is flux around us - we should be focusing on a
> limited simple and clear approach.  TRP chose
> [...]

begin:vcard
n:Najmi;Farrukh
tel;work:781-442-0703
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.sun.com
org:Sun Microsystems;Java Software
adr:;;1 Network Dr. MS BUR02-302;Burlington;MA;01803-0902;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:najmi@east.sun.com
fn:Farrukh Najmi
end:vcard