Subject: Re: Updated Constrained OQL proposal

Mattew,

Thanks for your comments.

My approach is based on the following rationale:

1. OQL stinks of object bias more than anythink else. RIM stinks of an
object bias. (For that matter I stink of an object bias)

2. All registry implementations I am aware of store metadata in a
relational store

3. It is easier to map OQL to an XML store or anything else than mapping a
custom home grown XML     query syntax to any thing else. So for those
implementations that choose something other than relational stores mapping
an object model to anything else would be easier.

In short engineering is making trade offs. I view this as the best tradeoff
that meets the needs of most implementations.

Matthew MacKenzie wrote:

> Farrukh,
>
> Is "mapping to SQL" a requirement of regrep adhoc query?  Your proposal
> stinks of technology bias, and I hope the group recognizes that.
>
> --
> Matthew MacKenzie
> VP Research & Development
> XML Global Technologies, Inc.

Farrukh

begin:vcard
n:Najmi;Farrukh
tel;work:781-442-0703
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.sun.com
org:Sun Microsystems;Java Software
adr:;;1 Network Dr. MS BUR02-302;Burlington;MA;01803-0902;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:najmi@east.sun.com
fn:Farrukh Najmi
end:vcard