ebxml-stc message

Subject: RE: tpaML Re: OASIS Forms TC to Develop XML Spec for Business Transactions

Bob, Rik, Marty et al,

If you read the OASIS announcement you will note the quote from Karl Best, who is working to help the various OASIS TCs build on support from one another, especially with ebXML when appropriate.
[Karl Best, director of technical operations for OASIS, noted, “The goal
of this committee is to develop an XML protocol that works in
conjunction with existing business messaging standards, particularly ebXML.]

The Chair of the OASIS BTP TC, Rocky Stewart, is aware of the ebXML effort (BEA has been participating in ebXML) and one of the goals of  the BTP TC will be to build on the various ebXML specifications in defining standards for complex, long-lasting, multi-partner business transaction conversations over the Internet.  In addition, representatives from the Workflow Management Coalition (WfMC) have expressed interest in participating in the OASIS BTP TC.

In the BEA release, you will find quotes from some of the companies who initiated formation of the BTP TC: Sun Microsystems (Bill Smith), Interwoven, Bowstreet and BEA Systems -- all OASIS members and involved in ebXML.
http://www.bea.com/press/releases/2001/0131_OASIS_Tech_Committee.shtml

So, the OASIS BTP TC is NOT competing with ebXML,  It will work to extend the value of the ebXML effort.  The ebXML Executive does meet more frequently than just at the ebXML Meetings and is concerned about coordination of activities across multiple organizations.  The OASIS Board of Directors is also spending significant time and funds to support the ebXML initiative and find ways to promote the work of ebXML and planning ways to accelerate the adoption of the ebXML specifications.

Participants in ebXML who are OASIS members (or join OASIS) and have an interest and expertise in this area are invited to join the BTP TC.  Please send your request to Rocky Stewart <rstewart@bea.com>.

Best regards,

Patrick Gannon
Sr. Vice President, E-Commerce Integration Division
BEA Systems, Inc.
pgannon@bea.com
408-570-8484
Chairman of the Board, OASIS