Subject: RE: Business Service Interface

Stefano,

Based on your posting below, I believe that you see the BSI as performing
two distinct functions.  One is the application-independent functions that
can be performed by the B2B middleware.  These are the functions listed on
my first BPF slide.  In the implementation pictures, the
application-independent part is a combination of the TPA objects and the
BPF Services.  The TPA object is not really application-independent but it
is generated from the TPA without reference to any other aspect of the
application. The second, which you are describing below, is
application-dependent in the sense that it has to look inside the payload
and know how to do that.  I agree that the second one is necessary and we
have similar function in our BPF prototype.  We call it the service
implementation (SI) object. It is shown in my BPF slides, though
unfortunately named differently in each case.  It is custom-written for
each application and is essentially the interface between the legacy
application and the middleware.

   In "Business Setup...", it is "Business Logic"

   In "BFP Compnents...", it is "I/F to Bus. Logic"

   In "Flow Through...", it is the SI (Service Implementation) object,
   which is the actual name of it in our prototype.

So, I think that we are in very good agreement on all points.

Regards,
Marty

Martin W. Sachs
IBM T. J. Watson Research Center