ebxml-tp message

Subject: RE: initial draft of CPP-CPA Specification

 -----Original Message-----
 From: Martin W Sachs [mailto:mwsachs@us.ibm.com]
 Sent: 20 January 2001 00:37
 To: Stefano POGLIANI
 Cc: ebxml-tp@lists.ebxml.org; ebxml-ta-security@lists.ebxml.org

 Stefano,

 I mostly agree with everything in this email.  I have embedded a couple of
 comments below.

	Marty,
		I am including in this reply ONLY the relevant parts for further
discussion.
	Best regards and have a nice week.

	/Stefano

 Line 334:
      are you meaning that, in your wording, "business application
functions" is the
      merge of the ebXML-middleware (which is aware of the collaboration)
and of
      the actual back-end systems (the legacy applications currently used
by the
      customer) ?
      If this is true, I have the following comments:
           "The Collaboration-Protocol layer is the interface between the
           CPA-defined business transactions and the business-application
functions
           that actually perform the business transactions"
      The "business transactions" are actually performed by the legacy
applications,
      aren't they?

 MWS:  True.  However there will be new applications defined by the BP
model and those
 won't need any bridge between the collaboration function and the higher
level application
 function.

	Do you mean new applications that will be developed as already "ebXML
compliant" ?
	I do not understand how new applications will be "defined by the BP model",
though...

 	The "CPA-defined business transactions" are the choreography
 	of the actual business transactions that are executed by the legacy,
 	am I wrong?

 MWS:  This is what the Specification Schema will provide, so I agree.

      So, I interpreted the "Collaboration-Protocol layer" as the layer
which is in
      charge of "instructing" the legacy about which business transaction
should
      be executed. In my interpretation, this layer is dinstinct from the
legacy.

 MWS:  I agree for legacy applications.  The bridge to the legacy is where
the
 choreography will be executed.

	Marty,
		sorry but at this point I do not understand which is the final answer
	to the original question which was :

		I would change "...and the business-application functions..." into
		"...and the back-end functions..."

 Regards,
 Marty

 Martin W. Sachs