Subject: RE: no synch vs asynch indicator in CPP/CPA

Well, if speed is irrelevant, and
being a user in front of a keyboard
is irrelevant (and I disagree about
these relevancy assertions, by the
way), there remains one factor that
will be hard to massage away. If the
originator refuses to listen on a
TCP port, then using the reply to
send back data on the open connection
might be a good way to return data
and also provide
a good reason to implement a
"synchronous" response (reply
on same connection as request).

Of course, you could have the originator
poll for a response, as with message
store solutions (POP3 and IMAP, eg.)
but that solution space has a number
of drawbacks so that polling interval
is increased and that results in slowing
down when the response is actually
received...oops I wasn't going to
mention speed...

Keeping the connection open for a pipeline
was one main difference between HTTP 1.0
and HTTP 1.1. BEEP also reduces the
number of open connections needed
for traffic between hosts.
Don't these design changes
indicate that a number of people consider
connection overhead a significant
factor in protocol design and
are considering ways to reduce it?