Subject: RE: Re[2]: MIME vs pure XML ebXML structure

Mark,

I think this excerpt from your first sentence says it all; "I need to know
that the solution meets all of my clients needs". It would be truly
beneficial to see
some real customer requirements to help us in this effort.

I, like others in the group (yourself included), work with numerous parties
that are currently or will be doing E-commerce. ALL of the parties I work
with (mostly Energy and Healthcare companies) are using X12 as their
transfer syntax, and candidly they are wondering what the benefits will be
in moving to XML. There's still a lot of XML "tire kicking" going on.
Clearly, these are not XML purists I'm talking about, but they are doing
E-Commerce and they intend to do more of it. They  are using the "transport"
facilities available to them, mostly HTTP and E-mail to transport their
transactions. For the most part they are pleased with the results.  This
group of early adopters are an important group. They have investments and
strategies in E-Commerce and we need their support if ebXML is ever going to
succeed. I believe we risk losing their respect if we produce a XML only
packaging scheme that isn't usable with existing transport facilities, or
that requires special treatment to make it work over E-mail or HTTP.
Especially since they KNOW its possible to send XML via E-mail and HTTP
today using existing infrastructure.

In summary, I firmly believe we should follow our guiding principles and not
"RE-INVENT THE WHEEL"; if something meets our needs, lets use it.

Dick Brooks
http://www.8760.com/