Subject: Re: Compression (was RE: COMPLEXITY BIG ISSUE)

<NannyMode>
Again, can we restrict a conversation or thread to just one, or the most
appropriate, ebXML listserve?  In this case, I have no idea where the
thread started - so I'm sending it to both Architecture and Transport.
I'm getting swamped with two or three copies of each e-mail. Casual
visitors to a group can just review the archives.
</NannyMode>

David RR Webber says "Also - people are not listening here - EDI tried
to go there [compression] and it hurts.   That's why people are looking
at XML and seeing open standards that do NOT demand specific this or
that in the hardware is the answer."

EDI, either X12 or EDIFACT, has said very little, or nothing, about
compression.  And EDI demands very little of the hardware, except maybe
a few things regarding interoperable character sets (as does XML).  So
whatever are you talking about, David RR?  If EDI *sucks* (which I don't
believe for a moment), then let's at least get the reasons straight.

Now, both X12 and EDIFACT have addressed security (encryption,
authentication and non-repudiability) both at the interchange and
message level.  Is that the level of detail you're referring to?  If so,
I hardly see that as a reason people are looking to XML, since hardly
anyone has started using X12.58 or the weird security parts of EDIFACT
(ISO 9735) anyway.

William J. Kammerer
FORESIGHT Corp.
4950 Blazer Memorial Pkwy.