Subject: Re: Concern with basic ebXML TRP Syntax/Semantics

Thanks, but you need to take this back to the ebXML requirements group,
for alignment. I am cc'ing them on this.
Kit.

Christopher Ferris wrote:

> Kit,
>
> While I wasn't able to participate the the f2f meeting in
> Dallas and can't speak to the finalized packaging minutia
> I can address this from the perspective of one of the
> members of the packaging sub-team.
>
> We discussed this in depth in the packaging sub-team.
> We felt that there was inadequate support in the various
> W3C XML recommendations to support our requirements
> which follow:
>
> - Able to handle large documents
> - Able to envelope any document type
> - Minimize intrusion to payload (special encodings or alterations)
> - Minimize potential for abnormal termination caused by envelopes
> - Facilitate a migration path for existing installed base and technologies
> - Low processing overhead
> - Support for recursive documents
> - Able to preserve digital signatures
> - Able to unambiguously identify signed data
>
> To quote Dick's minutes of our sub-team meeting:
>
> <db>
> Both MIME and XML were discussed relative to these requirements. It
> was the groups consensus that MIME was better positioned today to
> meet the stated requirements. However, it was also believed that XML
> would mature as a packaging technology and the ebXML group should
> continue to monitor XML's progress for possible inclusion at a later date.
> It was also believed that Microsoft may have addressed some of the
> issues affecting XML's packaging ability. Dick Brooks accepted an
> action item to contact Microsoft to request information describing
> BizTalk's packaging functions to see if this may provide an XML
> packaging solution that meets the above requirements.
> </db>
>
> Another consideration in our work, and something clearly called out
> in the ebXML requirements document are the vision bullets. Specifically:
>     - is fully compliant with W3C XML technical specifications holding a
>         recommended status
>     - maximizes interoperability and efficiency while providing a
>         transition path from accredited electronic data interchange (EDI)
>         and developing XML business standards
>
> The first is key. It refers to W3C technical specifications holding
> a *recommended* status. The second is also key. It refers to
> a requirement to enable existing solutions such as RosettaNet and
> EDI/INT, etc. to interoperate (at least that's how I read it).
> This second bullet is called out again in the "General ebXML
> Principles" section in the Requirements document. Someone certainly
> thinks it s important. I for one concur.
>
> Another consideration which went into our thinking is the availability
> of software to handle the package. HTTP and SMTP clients and
> servers already support MIME and are both inexpensive and
> widely available if not ubiquitous.
>
> In the Requirements document, under the TR&P sub-section, #2
>     "Leveraging existing technology encompasses both the ability to
>     interoperate with existing technology as well as the ability to
> [...]

    _/    _/             Kit C. J. Lueder
   _/   _/         _/   The MITRE Corp.         Tel:  703-883-5205
  _/_/_/    _/  _/_/_/ 1820 Dolley Madison Bl  Cell: 703-577-2463
 _/   _/   _/    _/   Mailstop W722           FAX:  703-883-7996
_/    _/  _/    _/   McLean, VA 22102        Mail: kit@mitre.org
Worse than an unanswered question is an unquestioned answer.