Subject: Re: ebXML TR&P Interoperabiltiy event

At 06:41 AM 6/20/2000 -0400, Christopher Ferris wrote:
>Nick,
>
>Yes, I think that this would be a good idea. However, it would
>seem to me that it would be necessary to share an example
>business process to prove interoperability, no?

I think we are in agreement but I would rather focus this event on the
Transport level rather than Business Process level. The initial goal is not
to demonstrate ebXML as a whole but simply to get TR&P figured out.
Presumably in the future we will be able to expand the event. I would like
to walk away from this event with an absolutely clear picture of what we
mean by wire-level interoperability.  I would also like to make a clear
distinction between Transport Service Level Agreements and the higher level
TPA notions. I would vote for clearing up the TSLA notions first, *without*
getting bogged down in implementation details. I think we have too often
deep dived in how to implement functionality before we have fully digested
what it is that we are trying to accomplish. The way in which the arrival
of an ebXML Message triggers some business logic (that may or may not
result in an *application* level response message) is an important question
but it isn't a transport issue. IMO.

The question remains; what do we need to accomplish to demonstrate ebXML
TR&P level interoperability over potentially unreliable network
"transports" e.g. HTTP ? I think specifying this will help those who intend
to implement compatibility test suites. Depending on the level of interest,
I had assumed there would be some useful discussion off-line. Not sure
whether the mail lists or web sites have been fixed yet to facilitate this
discussion ebXML-wide !

Nick