Subject: RE: Trading Partner Logical Identification based on EDIFACT or X12qualifiers

David,

One thing that has impressed me about the people working in the ebXML effort
is their commitment to doing quality work and dedication to making ebXML a
success. I can honestly say I haven't met anyone who is knowingly or
willfully producing a  "half-assed" (your term) solution. But clearly you
believe strongly that a regrep API is needed to produce a "robust" solution,
and maybe some of us are simply missing your point, so please help us
understand your concerns more clearly. I have a few questions:

> Folks - you are not all considering the deployment ramifications
> thru here.

Can you be precise and describe the "deployment ramifications" of not having
a regrep API? List the functionality that would be lost and/or describe the
impact it would have on a B2B system.

> You cannot have loosy-goosey behaviours.  Now what you may get away
> with is to say the Repository access is REQUIRED in order to support
> fully compliant ebXML exchanges that are robust.

Can you define what is meant by robust? I believe a side-by-side comparative
analysis showing a system using a regrep API and one without citing the
pros/cons of each would help us see your point more clearly.

> You are not going to get away from the fact though, that for a certain
> level of interchange, RegRep access is going to be required.

Can you provide an example of an interchange where regrep access is
required? In other words, what type of interchange cannot occur without a
regrep API.

I'm hoping your answers will provide everyone a better understanding of the
issue.

Dick Brooks
Group 8760
110 12th Street North
Birmingham, AL 35203
dick@8760.com
205-250-8053
Fax: 205-250-8057
http://www.8760.com/

InsideAgent - Empowering e-commerce solutions