Subject: RE: Trading Partner Logical Identification based on EDIFA

I missed most of the Reliable Messaging discussion that took place in San
Jose, but here is what, I believe, some people in the Energy industry might
want WRT Reliable Messaging:

"The ability for a sending party to ensure that a receiving party has
received a message and the information within the message is acceptable for
processing by the receivers application system (e.g. valid in terms of
structure and data content)." I'm paraphrasing from several principles
(4.3.xx) found in the Gas Industry Standards Board Electronic Delivery
Mechanism (GISB EDM) specification.

This level of reliable messaging can be accomplished using:
- a SYNCHRONOUS "positive acknowledgement" issued by a receiver to a sender
at the completion of a message delivery
- Clearly defined retransmission semantics/behavior
- Error messages and a notification mechanism
- A FINAL acknowledgement indicating acceptance for processing by an
application (e.g. a X12 997)

A large percentage of the energy industry conducts E-commerce using the GISB
EDM, which addresses the above behavior.

There are other aspects of reliable messaging being discussed within ebXML
that may or may not be "within scope" of the PHASE 1 ebXML deliverable;
this, I believe, is Nicks point. Some of the topics I've heard discussed
within ebXML's Reliable Messaging discussions include:

- Identification and elimination of duplicate messages
- Efficiency mechanisms:
	- Sliding Windows (flow control and efficient async acknowledgement)
	- Batching
- Persistence
- Error notifications (at several levels)
- Fragmentation and reassembly of messages
- Compression
- Security (both access control and PAIN)
- Reliability semantics (what is the "boundary" for ebXML's reliability)
	- after a receiver acknowledges receiving the message by issuing a positive
ack
	- after validation of header structure
	- after validation of payload structure
	- after validation of crypto (encryption/digital signatures)
	- after validation of header data values
	- after validation of payload data
	- after an application system issues a "business level acknowledgement"
(e.g. X12 855)
	- after all related business transactions have been exchanged within a
message set

It seems the first step is to decide WHAT is within scope for the Phase 1
ebxml deliverable. Define the "functional specifications" that will enable
vendors to build interoperable solutions based on WHAT is defined.

Dick Brooks
Group 8760
110 12th Street North
Birmingham, AL 35203
dick@8760.com
205-250-8053
Fax: 205-250-8057
http://www.8760.com/

InsideAgent - Empowering e-commerce solutions