Subject: RE: Trading Partner Logical Identification based on EDIFA

At 03:37 PM 8/19/2000 -0500, Dick Brooks wrote:
>..snip

>"The ability for a sending party to ensure that a receiving party has
>received a message and the information within the message is acceptable for
>processing by the receivers application system (e.g. valid in terms of
>structure and data content)." I'm paraphrasing from several principles
>(4.3.xx) found in the Gas Industry Standards Board Electronic Delivery
>Mechanism (GISB EDM) specification.

This seems like a reasonable definition without going overboard. IMO.

>This level of reliable messaging can be accomplished using:
>- a SYNCHRONOUS "positive acknowledgement" issued by a receiver to a sender
>at the completion of a message delivery

I think the operative word is "positive acknowledgement" - whether this is
done synchronously or asynchronously is a transport specific implementation
issue. IMO. I think one of the key values of ebXML TRP is transport
neutrality at the Business Process Level and I think keeping the
programming model simple is key to adoption.

>- Clearly defined retransmission semantics/behavior

Agreed.

>- Error messages and a notification mechanism

Yep.

>- A FINAL acknowledgement indicating acceptance for processing by an
>application (e.g. a X12 997)

Would you characterize this as a Business level ACK produced at the BP level ?

..snip