Subject: Secuirty issues and RE: the mime issue in the ms draft

>-

This non-repudiation of route is a pretty exotic security requirement Igor,
and I think a precise definition is needed for those interested in security
to consider whether it should even be a requirement for the security
specification.

I believe the group is attempting to decouple the basic packaging issues
from
other packaging issues related to security. The relevance of the
security worry to basic packaging seems to presuppose that there is some
kind
of intrinsic connection that prevents this decoupling. But since S/MIME
security
assumes that the security multiparts can wrap any MIME part as an
encapsulated or detached object, it is then implied that the issues can be
decoupled.

I do believe that once the non-repudiation of route is clearly defined,
it will be possible to find several implementational mechanisms
using standard security constructs that will do the job.
(Of course, if the job is impossibly defined, we will find
none that do the job...) We should definitely consider
the issue within the security specification if it is agreed to
be a necessary function to support and when we have the precise
definition available that everyone understands in the same way.