Subject: RE: ebxml Messaging Services spec v 0.2

See responses in-line marked with ##

From: Chris Ferris - Sun East Coast IR Development
[mailto:chris.ferris@sun.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 12, 2000 7:57 AM
To: Burdett, David
Cc: ebXML Transport (E-mail)

David/All,

Some comments embedded below. Again, thanks David for
all your effort in getting the draft ready for review!

"Burdett, David" wrote:

> Folks
>
> Here's the updated messaging service spec. I've done all the changes apart
> from those described below.

<snip/>

> ------------
> Outstanding changes
>
> In making the changes I found the following problems which I meant I
> couldn't quite make the changes as agreed ...
>
> 1. I've changed section 2.2.1 Content Type to reference two mandatory
> attributes (type and boundary) and two optional (version and charset) as
> there are four attributes not two !!

I think that this is correct and aligned with what we
discussed. I'll defer to Dick for the final say in the
matter.

##No change##

> 2. Still not clear when version or versionless ebXML Header Envelopes
should
> be used.

I still don't recall the concept of versionless envelopes
being discussed. IMHO, we should only be dealing with a
version identified envelope. I thought that I had submitted
a comment to this effect, but possibly not. In any event,
I think that we need to have a rationale and a clearly expressed
requirement for versionless packaging/header (which I cannot
find) or else lines 205/206 should be removed.
##I agree. I will take the lines out - we can always put them back in again.
Now changed to only be "0.21"##

> 3. There is a difference in the style of writing and usage of MS Word
> headings between the "packaging specification" part of the spec and the
> "ebXML header document" part of the spec. Suggest reworking the ebXML
Header
> Document part of the spec to be in the same style as the packaging spec
and
> adding Word headings.

I'm not sure that I follow. I could see renaming the
section 3 heading to read "Header Document" (ebXML is
somewhat redundant, don't you think;-)
##What I'm really saying is that section 2 and section 3 were written by
different people and it really shows ...##

> 4. Changed status of Marty's changes 105 to 108 to Defer as they are
> technical change and not an editorial change and I could not see any way
> express the solution clearly.
> 5. Changed status Gordon's changes to Message Type (change 114) since I we
> have not discussed or agreed what the changes should be.

That's fine, we should make a note to discuss this at the
f2f in Dallas.

> 6. Not sure that the Schema has been updated correctly to reflect changes
> DocumentReference.
> 7. Moved agreed changes refs 124 to 127 (about PartyId) back to suggested
> changes as we are still discussing these.
> 8. Not done change 153 (remove detail of the XML Documents) as think it
> probably needs some discussion.

Possibly. I would think that we should be able to find
a much more succinct example with less payload content.
Another approach would be to add a <snip/> element
to truncate a major part of the message;-)
##Currently no change##

> 9. Can't do change 156, as I don't know who should (or should not) be
there
> 10. Can't do changes 160, 161 - no new examples for Appendix B

We can update the examples, schema and DTD for the final
draft.

> 11. Also deleted reference to the glossary in General Conventions since it
> is covered in Notational Conventions
>
> I'll send out an updated change list that reflects the above soon.
>
>  <<ebXML Messaging Service Specification v0-2.doc>>  <<ebXML Messaging
> Service Specification v0-2.pdf>>
>
> Product Management, CommerceOne
> 4400 Rosewood Drive 3rd Fl, Bldg 4, Pleasanton, CA 94588, USA
> Tel: +1 (925) 520 4422 (also voicemail); Pager: +1 (888) 936 9599
> mailto:david.burdett@commerceone.com; Web: http://www.commerceone.com

>                                                      Name: ebXML Messaging
Service Specification v0-2.doc
>    ebXML Messaging Service Specification v0-2.doc    Type: Microsoft Word
Document (application/msword)
>                                                  Encoding: base64
>
>                                                      Name: ebXML Messaging
Service Specification v0-2.pdf
>    ebXML Messaging Service Specification v0-2.pdf    Type: Portable
Document Format (application/pdf)

--
                               Christopher Ferris
    _/_/_/_/ _/    _/ _/    _/ Enterprise Architect - EMA