Subject: RE: Test Indicator Issue

Chris,

	I think that there is a third option which is, BTW, the one I support:

3 - Do not use a Test Indicator at all

I am confused by the discussion in this thread. I think that the ide from Dick
of using a Test environment and a Production environment (pls correct me if
I oversimplify) exchnaging messages that are "neutral" to the execution
environment where they are actually exchanged is :
	- the most simple to implement
	  (the test environment contains "test data" including, eventually,
	  "test URLs" which should be answered as part of the responses)
	- the most resilient to changes
	- the most "clean". In fact :
		a.	If the "test" flag should be interpreted by the MSH ONLY
			then the MSH should be "aware" of application semantic
			(at least, forward the payload to this or that...) and,
			thus, may be more difficult to build (or to buy).
			If the "context" in which this flag is used is the one
			of pinging, than I still think that a "PING" type of
			message is better suited.
		b.	if the "test" flag is forwarded to the application layer
			together with the payload and no behaviour is specified
			then there is the risk of lack of interoperability across
			partners that do not share the same semantic for interpreting
			the flag (in some way, each partner should declare in its own
			CPP how it would eventually deal with the "test flag")

So, I concur with who said that this discussion could introduce ripple
effects in other specs.

In summary, I honestly think that this topic is about properly managing test
and production environments and not about the semantic of the message and of the
associated layers.

/Stefano