Subject: Re: TC154 vote on NWI - your approval needed

I was totally confused by the reference to ISO 14662 (Open-EDI) on the
ballot comments.  Do any of us know what we're being asked to comment
on?

But now that I was able to dredge up the ISO/TC 154 N 354 document that
ANSI is supposedly voting on (this is again why we need archives of the
tc154TAG@disa.org and the sc32-1TAG@disa.org listserves), I see that it
has absolutely nothing to do with Open-EDI! Instead, ISO/TC 154 N 354
from 2000-10-13 concerns ISO 6523 - EDI/EC registration authorities
(Structure for the identification of Organizations and Organization
Parts - Part 1: Identification of Organization Identification Schemes &
Part 2: Registration of Organization Identification Schemes).

UN/EDIFACT supports ISO 6523 addressing - within UNB02-S00202 D.E. 0007
Partner identification code qualifier code "30".  The ISO 6523 standard
itself is described at http://www.nic.it/NA/iso6523.txt. See also the
Numerical list of all ICDs that have been issued, maintained by the
British Standards Institution as the ISO/IEC 6523 Registration Authority
at http://www.sdct.itl.nist.gov/~ftp/l8/sc32wg2/ICD-list.htm.  For more
information, look at the EDIRA Association web site at
http://www.edira.org/.

There is absolutely no conflict between ISO 6523 and ebXML TR&P
Messaging Services.  Indeed, I have even proposed that ebXML TR&P's
Messaging Services use the ISO 6523 identifier - see the thread "Trading
Partner Logical Identification based on EDIFACT or X12qualifiers" in the
ebXML TR&P listserve archives from 14 Aug 2000, specifically
http://lists.ebxml.org/archives/ebxml-transport/200008/msg00073.html.

The U.S. should vote "Yes" on the AFNOR ballot ISO/TC 154 N 354.

William J. Kammerer
FORESIGHT Corp.
4950 Blazer Memorial Pkwy.
Dublin, OH USA 43017-3305