Subject: Re: Synchronous Messaging Proposal - Some Thoughts

I've moved the discussion to trp list where it belongs (IMHO).

Please see my comments below.

Prasad Yendluri wrote:

<snip/>

> Michael Joya wrote:

<snip/>

> > 1.  Make the clear distinction in the TRP Message specification between
> > acknowledgement messages and reply messages. Ack messages are sent by
> > the MSH layer to another MSH layer and are central to the ebxml
> > messaging protocol. Reply messages are sent on behalf of the application
> > or service and convey some meaning exterior to the ebxml messaging protocol.

ABSOLUTELY! 110% agreement there.

> > 2.  Acknowledgement messages deserve the most reliable delivery method
> > available. In a synchronous transport protocol such as HTTP/HTTPS, this
> > is readily available and is the immediate connection upon which the
> > request was made.

synchronous response is not necessarily the most reliable means of
getting an ack. The network connection can be severed before the
ack is delivered.

> >    Proposal: OnceAndOnlyOnce messages should be required to use a
> > synchronous transport medium. The acknowledgement should arrive on the
> > same connection as was used to send the original message.

I think that this deserves some discussion.

> > 3. One-way protocols (SMTP) are inherently bad choices for building an
> > additional layer of reliability upon. However, because they often have
> > their own assured delivery mechanisms, they make good choices for
> > "BestEffort" messages.
> >    Proposal: BestEffort messages should be required to use an
> > asynchronous transport.

I don't necessarily agree with this. There's no reason why BestEffort
can't leverage a synchronous transfer layer (HTTP/S).

> > Dick, would 2 and 3 infringe on DOE requirements?
> >
> > --
> > // mike.joya@xmlglobal.com
> > // XML Global
> > // POC Project Team - ebXML
> > // Vancouver, Canada
> > // 604.717.1100 x230
begin:vcard
n:Ferris;Christopher
tel;cell:508-667-0402
tel;work:781-442-3063
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Sun Microsystems, Inc;XTC Advanced Development
version:2.1
email;internet:chris.ferris@east.sun.com
title:Sr. Staff Engineer
fn:Christopher Ferris