Subject: Re: Please use this revised draft of Message Services spec for comments

David/Chris,

Great Work. Here are a few things I noticed, on a quick read.

1. Per the schema, all top level elements except Header have a minOccurs=0. So, we know that Header must
always be present but, what elements may be present (or not) based on the presence of the other elements
is not clear. This needs to be captured somewhere. For example it does not make sense to have all of
MessageStatusRequest, MessageStatusResponse, ErrorList and Acknowledgment elements in the same message. I
would think it would be invalid to have more than one of these in the message? We need to capture this
(and all such) in the schema and not make it a semantic level interpretation thing.

2. Some of the elements render the message a "status"/"ack"/"error"  message and it seems don't need (may
should not have) any payload. For example (again) for the MessageStatusRequest, MessageStatusResponse and
Acknowledgment messages, shouldn't  the payload should be null? How do we capture this information?

3. For the ApplicationHeaders, the description and the examples show MustUnderstand attribute is at the
ApplicationHeaders (top) level.  This would would make it all or nothing for all application headers.
That is, when set to to "true" you must understand them all or you fail. I think it is better if we could
move it inside but, that could be tricky to specify with "any" elements! BTW, the schema does not show
this attribute at all. It has an attribute called "id" that is not described in the specification.

4. For non-repudiation purposes, the hash (of the relevant part) of the received message is included in
the acknowledgment (and signed). We don't accommodate that. Is that by design?

5. Line 386 states An Acknowledgment element may be present on any message. Is this true? When/why do we
want to include acks with other messages?

6. Section 8.7 (line 716-740) needs updated to use the MessageStatusRequest, MessageStatusResponse stuff.
It is not clear when one would want to use this mechanism versus the Acks (reliable messaging) as
described in section 10.

7. The "UnAuthorized" code in MessageStatusResponse (in the schema) for the original message or is it an
indication that the requester does not have authorization to query on the particular message (may be not
the one they sent originally?).

8. Do we really need both ApplicationHeaders and the #wildcard (in the Header)? I understand the
difference but, I am not sure we need. Additionally this does not have "MustUnderstand" attribute (at
least not described in the spec). BTW, this is not in the schema.

9. There is an "AnyAttribute" for the ebXMLHeader element in the schema. That has not made it into the
spec.

10. Routing header element is shown to get modify along the path (for multi-hop). This requires
re-write/re-assmbling of the ebXMLHeader and hence the repackaging (MIME) of the message at each hop. Is
this acceptable?

11. What is the real purpose of the trace in the routing header?

12. I guess the order of the new entries added along the way , in the routing header is important. That
is, always add at the end. If so, we need to state that. Since the receiver depends on the SenderURI on
the "last" entry.

13. Line 526 Description elements not listed in the lines 466-474 and also not present in the schema. Not
clear if this is in or out?

14. Line 1678, the "type" attribute does not match the multipart/signed type.

That is all I have.

Thanks, Prasad