Subject: RE: Content-Location MIME headers?

Sanjay,

I've had similar discussions regarding Content-Location with both the SOAP
and XP communities. RFC 2557 is very clear in describing the potential uses
of Content-Location, you cited one in your e-mail but you didn't cite the
other use, which I've included here: ref page 1 of RFC 2557

   "While initially designed to support e-mail transfer of complete
   multi-resource HTML multimedia documents, these conventions can also
   be employed to resources retrieved by other transfer protocols such
   as HTTP and FTP to retrieve a complete multi-resource HTML multimedia
   document in a single transfer or for storage and archiving of
   complete HTML-documents."

In other words Content-Location is a MIME equivalent to <a href="remote
URL"> where the data is NOT contained in the message but is retrieved from a
remote location using a URL.

If an MSH has to resolve all remote links, securely and reliably, before
issuing a transport ACK it will significantly and unnecessarily complicate
the MSH process. This is a consensus based process, if the group agrees that
Content-Location is required then our Commerce-Agent product will include
the functionality. However, I'm not convinced this functionality is a
"mainstream" requirement! The Energy industry has been doing E-Commerce over
the Internet since 1997 without this functionality and nobody is knocking
the doors down for it.

> What Chris is recommending is to utilize Content-Location
> instead of Content-ID MIME part header for labeling the part
> so that the main document doesn't need any re-working to set
> the references straight.

Sanjay, I don't understand what "re-work to set references straight" you're
referring to with CID's, please explain.

Dick Brooks
Group 8760
110 12th Street North
Birmingham, AL 35203
dick@8760.com
205-250-8053
Fax: 205-250-8057
http://www.8760.com/

InsideAgent - Empowering e-commerce solutions