Subject: Re: multi-hop requirement

Folk,

The issue of multi-hop or intermediary support for ebXML MSH is moot. This issue
has been debated ad nauseum, most recently at the Tokyo meetings in November, and
the team there came to consensus that indeed multi-hop needed to be supported.

If there are issues with the expression of *how* multi-hop routing through
intermediary nodes in the latest draft of the spec (0.91) then please
let us keep our focus to providing specific feedback and suggestions
on the technical aspects of the current proposal.

Michael Joya wrote:

> Henry Lowe wrote:
>
> > Back in the early days of TRP, we identified support of SMEs (which
> > may well only have a browser and/or e-mail) requiring multi-hop.
>
> This doesn't mandate that ebxml message protocol itself offer multi-hop
> functionality. The browser itself might just be posting the same old forms
> over https.
>
> > To do business with others, either big or small, the SME would go
> > through a Portal such as Yahoo.  Particularly for interactions
> > with large enterprises (LE), the Portal would probably use something
> > other than SNMP or HTTP (perhaps CORBA or QMseries).  Thus, multi-hop
> > would be a requirement -- SME to Portal using SNMP for first hop and
> > Portal to LE using CORBA for second hop.
> >

> Fair enough. Although this really sounds to me like two seperate
> conversations altogether. First you have the  ME querying the Portal for a
> specific LE,  a given classified service, or an address. Secondly, the SME
> uses its learned knowledge to contact the LE directly and do business.
>
> I'm curious. What benefits do you see to having the Portal be the
> intermediary for all communications between SME and LE? I might argue that a
> Portal would be useful if the SME didn't have proper ebxml protocol
> functionality. After all, if that SME could send off ebxml messages, it
> wouldn't need to rely directly in the Portal for communications; that SME
> could do so itself. Then again, if it couldn't, multihop messaging would be
> unecessary; the only ebxml messages would be between the Portal and the LE.
begin:vcard
n:Ferris;Christopher
tel;cell:508-667-0402
tel;work:781-442-3063
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Sun Microsystems, Inc;XTC Advanced Development
adr:;;One Network Drive;Burlington;Ma;01803-0903;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:chris.ferris@east.sun.com
title:Senior Staff Engineer
fn:Christopher Ferris