Subject: Re: Comments and Suggestions - 0.9a

Marty,

Please see below.

Martin W Sachs wrote:

> Chris
>
> Regarding service and action:  I haven't read the latest Specification
> Schema Specification yet but based on prior discussions, here are my views
> on the terms in question:
>
> Service should identify the set of business transactions belonging to one
> party, equivalent to one of the action menus in tpaML.  I had the
> impression that BusinessTransactionActivity was part of a single Business
> Transaction.

I believe that these represent the same concept. I could be mistaken...

> Action in the TRP spec was originally intended to identify an action in the
> tpaML sense.  As of the Boston F2F, that's a Business Transaction.

Of that, I'm not so certain. We should review these thoughts with the BPM
team.

> Regarding:
>         Suggestion: Provide a small inline example for a combination
>    > Service/Action element combo.
>
>    That we'll most certainly do!
> Let's be sure to keep the TRP and TP specs consistent.

Yes indeed!

> [...]
> > type="registry".
>
> If the Service is an URI, the "type" need not be declared as the
> default "type" is "uriReference". I fully concur that the value of
> Service should be an URI. I strongly recommend that this be adopted
> by ebXML for precisely the reasons you cite and many others.
>
> >     Suggestion: Provide a small inline example for a combination
> > Service/Action element combo.
>
> That we'll most certainly do!
>

> > lines 661-675:
> >     Multihop Transmission 1 example: If I understand this correctly, (A)
> > wants to send a message to (C) through (B). (A) does not specify (C)'s
> > receiverURI at any point in transmission1. How does (B) obtain (C)'s
> > receiverURI? Is it a requirement of the MSH Layer in (B) to map the <To>
> > field from the header into a <ReceiverUri> for transmission2? (B) seems
> > to obtain this data out of thin air.
>
> ebXML Message Service specification doesn't define how an intermediary
> obtains this information. That is strictly implementation dependent.
> It would seem to me that an intermediary node in a multi-hop would have
> some mapping between the PartyId in the To element and a receiverURI.
> Again, how it gets this, and how it achieves this mapping is outside the
> scope of the ebXML Message Service specification. Our scope is limited
> to enabling intermediary node capability as per the requirements
> we identified at the outset of ebXML.
>
> >     I still do not see the overrall value of multihop messaging other
> > than for proxy purposes. Is this the only purpose?
>
> It is one, but not the sole purpose. Value-add intermediaries are
> another, providing any manner of value-add from reliability/robustness
> to businesss value-add.
>
> >     Suggestion: Either dictate where party B should obtain the
> > ReceiverURI from (note: this is Not an implementation detail; A and B
> > are seperate parties!), or allow A to communicate it to B in
> > transmission1.
>
> We haven't and do not plan on addressing directed multiple hops
> (where the initiating party prescribes the route to be taken). Nor
> will we dictate or constrain an implementation as to how it effects
> this manner of mapping (from To to ReceiverURI).
>

> > line 765:
> >     default value given for codeContext attribute: There is nothing
> > wrong with this line! Hurray for default values!
> >     Suggestion: more lines like this!
> >
> >     The underlying theme here is that each data element given in the
> > specification that does not lend itself to an arbitrary range of values
> > SHOULD have at least one of:
> >   a) a default value
> >   b) an acceptable range, pattern, or 'source' of values to choose from
> >   c) a reference to a specification outlining valid values
> >
> >      Also helpful would be mention of which role, (ebxml, msh-server,
> > msh-client, application-service, application-client) is to validate and
> > which is to provide. This is not always clear except for in examples.

begin:vcard
n:Ferris;Christopher
tel;cell:508-667-0402
tel;work:781-442-3063
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Sun Microsystems, Inc;XTC Advanced Development
adr:;;One Network Drive;Burlington;Ma;01803-0903;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:chris.ferris@east.sun.com
title:Senior Staff Engineer
fn:Christopher Ferris