Subject: RE: Manifest Element??

If I were implementing an ebXML processor, the absence of a Manifest would
tell me that there is no payload... and I would process the message with
that assumption... if there is an EMPTY Manifest, quite frankly, I would
have done the same. SO if there IS payload in either scenario listed above,
my processing would have been the same, ie... it would have been ignored.
This is why I would say that the Manifest is not required, but if it is
present, and contains no Payload references, no harm no foul... it's just
nice to have a consistent definition...

-----Original Message-----
From: Patil, Sanjay [mailto:Spatil@netfish.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2001 11:19 AM
To: Ebxml-Transport (E-mail)
Subject: Manifest Element??

This is about the discussion of empty Manifest element in cases where
there is no payload included in the Message or reference to external.
From whatever I could gather out of my brief sneaking in the conference,
we might specify to not have a Manifest element to indicate no payload.

My question, which could be treated as a more general XML usage question -
In the case of a Manifest element being absent, how can we differentiate
between
a faulty header and indication of no payload just by processing the Header
without
having to process the entire message?? If I remember it correct, this is the
argument POC had for not having optional elements.

thanks,
Sanjay Patil