Subject: v.98b - Error Element & SOAP Errors

Whereas all ebXML messages are encased in a SOAP envelope, and the SOAP
subsystem may return errors, it would seem reasonable that his specification
would provide specific instruction on the manner in which the ebXML Message
Service Handler shall/should convey SOAP errors.

Should SOAP errors be conveyed as ebXML 'DeliveryFailure', or should a
separate ebXML Error Code be provided to report SOAP errors?  Note that the
'Message Service Interface' (Figure 6-1) provides the single interface to an
ebXML Message Service Handler, so obviously the SOAP Message Service Handler
cannot directly convey the SOAP error to the ebXML Application (not that I
would want it to - I am a firm supporter of architectural layering).

If analysis of the existing SOAP error codes indicates the SOAP error codes
should all map to the ebXML error code "DeliveryFailure", there may not be
good reason to create a "SOAPFailure" error code.  If some SOAP errors might
logically map to other ebXML error codes per the requirement of lines
890-892 the ebXML MSH must perfrom said mapping.  That's ugly by my way of
thinking.

Of course, there are also the MIME errors to address as well.

I suggest that some text be added to the error handling section specifically
to address reporting of SOAP (and MIME) errors through the ebXML error
handler.  Section 8.7.6 Examples would seem a good place to do so.  The
section heading already suggests more than one example will be provided.

Cheers,
        Bob Miller