Subject: RE: Minor Issue: SyncReply and acknowledgments

Chris

My interpretation of the current specification is different from yours. My
response below is quite lengthy, as I wanted to point out the parts of the
spec that I believe cause the problem ...

The issue I have is that it is quite possible in the current spec for BOTH
deliveryReceiptRequested AND ackRequested (the RM Ack) to be set to TRUE in
the message header. It is also quite possible (and I know you disagree with
this Chris) for a MSH to use the values in the header to determine its
behavior.

Now if deliveryReceiptRequested is set to true then the spec says (lines
516-7) ...

>>The deliveryReceiptRequested attribute is used by a From Party to indicate
whether a message received by the To Party should result in the To Party
returning an acknowledgment message containing an Acknowledgment element
with a type of deliveryReceipt.<<

... and if ackRequested is set to true then the spec says (lines 1390-2) ...

>>The AckRequested value is used by the sending MSH to request that the
receiving MSH returns an acknowledgment message with an Acknowledgment
element with a type of Acknowledgment.<<

So if deliveryReceiptRequested and ackRequested are BOTH set to true, and
the recipient of the message is the To Party, then the To Party, according
to the spec, needs to return an Acknowledgment element with type of
DeliveryReceipt AS WELL AS an acknowledgement element with a type of
Acknowldgement.

Now the definition of syncReply says (lines 803-5) ...

>>If the syncReply attribute is present with a value of true, the MSH must
get data from the application or business process and return it in the
payload of the synchronous response.<<

My interpretation of this is that both Acknowledgement elements (one with
type=DeliveryReceipt and one with type=Acknowledgement) would need to be
returned in the same message. However this is currently IMPOSSIBLE since
there is only ONE Acknowledgment element in the header.

My suggestion is that we have separate elements called "DeliveryReceipt" for
the DeliveryReceipt and "Acknowledgement" and the RM Acknowledgement in the
header so that both can be sent back in the same message. The other
alternative would be to add rules in the spec that say if you should return
both a DeliveryReceipt as well as a RM Ack then you don't send the RM Ack.
Either way the spec needs to change, otherwise we will be left with a spec
that will be impossible to build to in this area.

Secondly Chris you suggested that the "RM ack should always be returned on
the same session". If we want to do this (which I think is a good idea) then
we need to say so in the spec as my interpreation of the current definition
of SyncReply in the spec does not support this. If we do want to do this
then we should replace the sentence above (lines 803-5) with something like
the following ...

>>If the syncReply attribute is present with a value of true, the MSH must
return in the synchronous response:
* an Acknowledgment element if a Reliable Messaging acknowldgment is
required,
* a DeliveryReceipt element if the MSH is operated by the To Party and a
delivery receipt is required, and
* the application or business process response in the payload that has been
obtained from the application.<<

Best wishes.

David.