ebxml message

Subject: RE: Calrification from the Editor - Duane Nickull

Speaking as a technical person, it does not matter whether or not Marketing
and Awareness does a separate write-up.  The fact is that a document should
be readable and as self-contained as possible.  Even a technical audience
should be provided with an overview.

The writers and readers may not be operating at the same knowledge level.
In fact, the technical person reading the document may still be green on the
technology (as I often am).  It's frustrating to me when I'm given a
technical document to read that assumes a certain knowledge level and
doesn't tell me enough for me to figure out where else I ought to be
looking.  It's also frustrating to me if a document refers me to another
source for the overview 1) because now I've yet another place I've got to
look and 2) it's amazing how often I find that the other resource doesn't
exist or doesn't cover what the referring source said it was supposed to
cover.

The writers and readers may not be operating on the same assumptions.  All
assumptions should be expressed in the front matter of a document.

Pardon me if I sound preachy.  I know I could express this more gently but
I'm rather tired right now.

Some references:

http://www.wpc-edi.com/AuthHelp.htm
http://techwriting.about.com/careers/techwriting/library/weekly/aa090299.htm