Subject: Re: AW: ebXML - core components glossary of terms and acronyms

On Thu, 15 Jun 2000, Hermes Hartmut wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> As acronyms always create the danger of misunderstandings I fully support
> the idea of creating an acronyms directory. The approach as mentioned in
> Gordon's e-mail seems workable:
>
> 	In retrospect my thinking is we should
>
> *	always spell out acronyms- at least the first time they are used
> *	if we use a new or uncommon term then take a line to state what the
> term means

I think, from a human factors standpoint, that each ebXML document
be a 'stand-alone' document. This means that at a minimum every
acronym is spelled out.  The acronym soup is getting out of hand.
Acronyms are beginning to step on-top of each other.  For instance:

	SME
		Small and Medium-sized Enterprises
		Subject Matter Expert
	DISA
		Data Interchange Standards Association
                Defense Information Systems Agency
        AIML
                Astronomical Instrument Markup Language
                Artificial Intelligence Markup Language "
	BSR
		Biopolymer Markup Language
		Business Semantics Registry
	ASP
		Active Server Page
		Application Service Provider
	PML
                Pattern Markup Language
                Phone Markup Language
                Portal Markup Language
        VML
		Voice Markup Language
		Vector Markup Language

If we don't provide a simple roadmap for our readers we are
basically telling them YOYO (Your On Your Own).

> There should be some "agency within ebXML to cover this issue.
>
> As initial idea: We should create a database indicating
> 1.	the term, acronym etc,
> 2.	a description, explanation, full text transformation
> 3.	the context (area, business, ...)
>
> Maybe this soundness familiar to some of you.

I fully agree!  From a business perspective it is very useful
to be able to lookup and find the definitions of terms.  I
also believe that each document should define the terms it
is using in the context of that document.  Throwing acronyms
in a document without explanation makes the document confusing
and in some cases, unintelligible.

Betty

Betty Harvey                         | Phone: 410-787-9200 FAX: 9830
Electronic Commerce Connection, Inc. |
harvey@eccnet.com                    | Washington,DC SGML/XML Users Grp