Subject: Re: Tag Languages, UID's etc. - Just what is a RosettaNet G-Ref???

David RR Webber said "RosettaNet have already adopted the equivalent of
Bizcodes and UID's - they call them G-Ref's I believe."  See
http://lists.ebxml.org/archives/ebxml-core/200101/msg00167.html.

Dear David:

Whatever are you talking about this time?  I have never heard of this
RosettaNet G-Ref thing.  Are you confusing this with GTINs (Global Trade
Item Numbers)?  GTINs are nothing more than EAN/UCC product IDs.  Though
global item numbers are a radical idea in the IT/EC business, they've
long been used in consumer goods in the form of UPC (universal product
codes).  But what do product codes have to do with the UID things you
and others have been talking about in the context of ebXML Core
Components?

Regardless of the technical mumbo-jumbo about "XPath/Xpointer
constructs - where the Xpointer is the UID, and the XPath is the
registry location - to achieve instance referencing from the parser,"
Bizcodes - or these elusive RosettaNet G-refs - will require
comprehensive dictionaries of semantic units.  Forget how the linkage is
done, for now.  Where are these dictionaries so we can take a look at
them?  I've looked all over the Bizcodes site, at
http://www.bizcodes.org/, and there's no dictionary.  Just slideware.

The tough work is in building these semantic units you want to link via
the UID. Only the BSR Basic Semantics Register even appears to have the
start of a list of terms, though disappointingly small.  After all these
years of folks blathering on about registries, repositories and
semantics, you would think there would be more we could base this work
on.

William J. Kammerer
FORESIGHT Corp.
4950 Blazer Memorial Pkwy.