Subject: Re: The initial ebXML business vocabulary - A call for a listofcandidates

Hi
First to introduce myself.  I am in the building industry and have for many
years been interested in ways to improve the performance of the building
industry by improving it ability to manage its information.  My focus has
been on understanding the flow of information between decision-makers -
assuming clarity in this area will provide the platform from which the IT
industry can more efficiently provide tools building practitioners can
understand and apply.  I'd like to make a couple of points from this
perspective.

Hopefully, in the not too distant future, the building industry will have OO
definitions of the objects about which it needs to communicate and
coordinate its decisions and actions.  I believe most of these objects will
be the subject of business messages - eg client and consultant re
commissioning, contractor and regulatory authorities, contractor and project
manager re variation to the work, contractor and manufacture re
order/invoice ..., contractor and transporter re delivery, contractor and
staff re wager and conditions of pay.  As the industry is composed primarily
of SMEs, a significant number of these exchanges will be handled by one
person wearing many hats.  That person will be stretched and have a
relatively short term perspective - primarily getting one job done and
finding the next one.  Profit margins will be tight and unlikely to support
long term planning.  In other words, change will not come easily and they
are unlikely to stop work to learn a totally new way of doing what they are
already doing - regardless of promised improvement.  Too, in this industry,
improvements undertaken by one group most commonly benefit someone else -
better construction documents do not attract a higher fee but do make it
easier for the builder.

In relation to ebXML -
    - The building industry deal with a very wide range of other sectors.
If we don't try for the universal solution how do we define the boundaries
of this industry?
    - The 'payload' of these messages will range for the traditional line
item (ordering a handbasin for a catalogue) to significant packages of
documentation (calling for quotes for the design and fabrication of a
building component).
    - The size and nature of this industry is such that it will be difficult
(impossible) to manage change if it calls for a medium to long term
initiative.
    - This industry that needs what ebXML has to offer but we need to think
about what they have to do to make the transition from their current
paper-based exchanges.
    -  Even if some enterprises take up the challenge and make the
transition they will be faced with having to communicate with those who
still use pen and ink.  Refusing work is not commonly an option.

My point is that the building industry is more likely to take up this
technology if they can grow into it.  I realise this is problem falls more
my court than yours but believe consideration of how an industry might make
the transition might  throw light on the current discussion.

As a positive contribution - a naive suggestion.  Accepting the above, we
need to look for ways that will enable the industry to evolve from current
practice.  Current paper-based messaging involve three levels of nesting;
    - payload
    - message type (commonly a pre-printed form - order, invoice, request
for information, ...)
    - message management (gets message from sender to receiver - in person,
voice, mail, email,...)

Is it possible to formulate Remy's Basic (general purpose) Core Components,
Domain specific Core
Components, Sector specific Core Components' around this sort of nesting?
For example;
    - payload - This would be application and industry specific and
therefore left to the relevant industry sector.  Over time moves could be
made to standardise this material.
    - message type - A library of agreed electronic document types could be
established that individual enterprises or industry sectors would draw upon.
Many message types would be universal but there would be room for special
types to be developed.
    - message management - The means of transmission are relatively
universal - addressor, addressee, date, ...

Elements like people, dates and addresses will appear in all three level
(payload: date/location to deliver object), (document type: date the order
was prepare or authorised), and managed (date message is sent/received).
These could be Remy's Basic Core??

Regards,
Howard Leslie