Subject: RE: real life problem

Eric:

Since we operate a VAN ourselves, we are possibly biased, but if the
supplier is demanding EDI formats, either translation software or a service
is required.  Something has to be between your client (perhaps using XML)
and the supplier (using EDI).  Although we expect XML use to increase
sharply in the future, EDI is a simpler and faster way to go, particularly
if one of the two companies already has an EDI operation in place.

Perhaps the supplier might agree to send EDI data directly to your client
(via e-mail or ftp, without a VAN) but once you receive it it is still in
EDI format and must be translated to XML or whichever format you need to
integrate it with your client's order entry system.  XEDI (www.xedi.org)
provides for simple XML-EDI translation, without all the business rules
surrounding XML data formats.  Also, every EDI document received should be
acknowledged with another outgoing EDI confirmation; programming  this
without a proper translator can be difficult and not worth the time.

Some VANS, including ours in Puerto Rico, use the Internet as a connection
method and add VPN and other security.  This avoids proprietary connections
but it is still not "free."  Some VANs or service bureaus offer Web-based
forms for low-volume users and on-network translation from one format to
another.  These solutions can be attractive, but only if the forms or maps
exist or can be developed at a reasonable cost.

Perhaps a low-cost translator and VAN are your best option for now.  Good
luck.

Pedro E González Santini
INFOMAX Corp./Precoms Inc.
San Juan, Puerto Rico