Subject: Re: [ebxml-dev] ebXML specifications interdendancies

Duane said,
 >>Okay - here it is in non technical language:
 >>
 >>Core Components are too abstract to be readily usable.  For Core
 >>Components to be used on a global basis,  we need the context
 >>mechanism.

That's fine but then, defining the allowable Contexts becomes
a hugely important economic and political question.  Just as are
the core components themselves.  But there's no sufficient process
for dialog on either one!  Viewed from the outside, the six contexts
appear to be handed down from philosopher kings, fully baked.

For example, I posted my viewpoint more than once here, that
internal application integration is a context, of which accounting
integration is a sub class.  Nobody reacted at all.  No dialog.
Maybe my idea is wrong; maybe it fits under the "Legacy Systems"
context... but I couldn't quite get it.

Please don't mistake my comments as negative, I think ebXML
is the greatest thing to come along in ages, and grateful for
everything that has been produced so far!

I think the sorts of people actually building ebXML should let the
other shoe fall, and articulate their own core components and
contexts. Maybe that's what's already happening thru the BP*
and BOT efforts.

This dimly reminds me of the OMG who have their MOF and CWM,
etc.  They are really in the registry/repository business.  Even
the ebXML BP and CC groups are dependent on the UML and XMI.

What a different world if would be if the OMG had produced just
a bit better effort at round-tripping data definitions thru a 11179
registry, and populated it with the obvious type sets for various
string, numeric and date/times.

The XML Schema inventors found they could not proceed without
the data types, and the Core Components group also found, they
could not proceed either.   Well, we can't either.  I think we need
more CCT's such as the Identifier Type I suggested, based on
URIs instead of "Agency".

Todd