Subject: Re: [ebxml-dev] ebXML specifications interdendancies

Mike Rawlins wrote:

> I doubt if your PoC is pushing the envelope at all.  Any decent programmer can write code to say:
>
> If context == (A,B,C,D,E) then BIE = X + Y
> If context == (1,2,3,4,5) then BIE = X + Y + Z
>
> The tricks are in adequately defining A, B, C, D, E, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and verifying that in all
> expected usages of the first context, BIE really does = X + Y, and that in the second context it's
> X + Y + Z.  Those are problems of analysis, which in the current state of software engineering is
> still more of a craft and an art than a rigorous engineering discipline.  This is why I think
> context applied to CCs can only be an aid and not a deterministic way to arrive at schema
> requirements.

FYI - the engine takes in three arguments (<Component.xml>
<ContextRulesMessage.xml> <Syntax>) and spits out the metadata to be
used in assmebling the final business message.  I found the CC teams CRM
not to be usable and ended up rolling my own which is more declarative.

The *REAL* hard work is in defining how to express the values and
enumerations for the CRM.  I have suggested this be done by way of a CRM
lookup table or code list in the Registry. Current work has recommended
that we use existing code lists like ISO country codes or currency codes
which I fully support.  Some of the context drivers use values that
probably need refinement which can only be done when people start using
them.  I personally think there is a great deal of merit to add in two
more contexct drivers - language and syntax - since these are relatively
low hanging fruit.

The hard work will be in business analysis, not programming (as you have
stated).

As for your last statement, I somehwat agree.  Time will tell.  I
beleive that if we get it working, it will still take years before
people can properly harmonize their business messages with the UN/CeFACT
Core Components.  SOme will probably do it right away though and that is
why it is so important to get it right the first go round.

Duane

--
CTO, XML Global Technologies