Subject: (Fwd) [ebxml-dev] MSH 1.0 vs 2.0?

I'm forwarding this, since Rudi seems to be having trouble posting to the list.

....A

Date sent:      	Thu, 16 May 2002 16:10:54 -0400
From:           	Rudi Wirth <wirth@exln.com>
To:             	andrzej@chaeron.com
Copies to:      	ebxml-dev@lists.ebxml.org
Subject:        	Re: [ebxml-dev] MSH 1.0 vs 2.0?

Andrzej Jan Taramina wrote:

> Could use a bit of help on some MSH version questions:
>
> 1) What is the difference between MSH 1.0 and 2.0 versions?
>
> 2) Is it possible to have two trading partners, at different MSH levels (1.0
> and 2.0) interoperate?  Any issues attached to that?
>
> 3) Is it possible to run a 2.0-level MSH in a 1.0 compatibility mode?  What do
> you lose if you do that?
>
> Thanks for your help in answering these....
>
> ...Andrzej
>
> Chaeron Corporation
> http://www.chaeron.com

Hello Andrzej,

below's a good summary from David Fischer albeit it's now two months
old, and there were some tiny changes from 1.09 to 2.0.

We do have one customer that went through the exercise of getting a 1.04
MSH to interoperate with 2.0; the scenario was that their supply chain
(spokes) were using 1.04 and they tried to upgrade their hub to 2.0.  I
don't have further details other than, obviously, they took our MSH
source code and "tweaked it to deal with the differences" on the hub.

However, I would've prefered a different scenario on the hub: in our
BPM, add both the 1.04 and 2.0 MSH adapters, and set up the Partners in
the Directory for either 1.04 or 2.0 communication.  Since the
communication is handled in the ebXML gateway, you encapsulate the
messaging details from the BSI which then just deals with the payload.
On the outbound side back to the Partner, there's a late-binding
approach where we lookup the participant at runtime, on behalf of an
"activity" in the process flow that prepresents a web-service
invocation, to figure out what the communication is supposed to be, ie
ebMS 1.04 or 2.0 in our case.

I am suggesting this since you obivously can't get ebMS 1.0x and 2.0
interoperate in a production environment.  But, what you can do, and
what you need to do in order to support partners that use different
messaging specs (not just ebMS 1,x 2.0, 3.0, etc, but also ie RNIF 1.1),
is to have a framework in place in your BPM to deal with these variants
of transports.  That way, 1.04 partners talk 1.04, and 2.0 partners talk
2.0.   The standard/spec defines the rules of communication between 2
parties; it's the BPM/communication framework behind the BSI that deals
with the variants.

Regards,
-Rudi

------