Subject: [ebxml-dev] Automating execution of Biz Processes (& BPSS)....

Mike cries that the sky is falling:

> In addition, if the BPSS
> specifies a state that can't be easily matched to an internal application
> state, then either application modifications are required in order to
> support the state or the user is forced to intervene and handle that state
> "out-of-band" as a manual exception.

I don't buy this thinking.  I'm finding, in my ebXML implementation, that the
public state management (handled by the ebXML BPM engine typically) is
independent of the back end private state management (handled by existing
systems and/or Workflow/Choreography/BPM engines). The only requirement
is that, for any particular B2B transaction (BPSS state transition), you need to
have an encapsulated back end fulfilment service to make this easier to
accomplish.

If you wrapper your back end systems as services (think web services, though
this is not technically a requirement...could be MQ/JMS, EAI integration hubs
and many other ways) then you can use a Workflow engine (hopefully based
on a visual/XML based declarative standard like BPML/WSCI once such a
standard emerges) to create a single exposed "service endpoint" that can be
invoked by each ebXML business transaction. This works since BPSS
Business Transactions are considered atomic in ebXML terms, so all you need
is a single method to fulfill each Biz Transaction.  Since the interface between
public and private is so clearly delineated, bolting the two together is not a big
deal (relatively speaking).

In most companies this is not a big problem. They have long had a clear
separation of public and private processes (manual at times) and have
managed quite nicely. By definition, most companies have kept their public
processes distinct from their private fulfilment ones. For those companies that
have implemented EDI-based trading with partners, they have already
resolved any mapping issues to a great degree, and the back end fulfilment
systems are structured in such a way that they can be reused easily in an
ebXML implementation. There is a lot of benefit to extending the Object-
Oriented concept of encapsulation (black-boxing) beyond services to
processes, especially in separating the definition of private (internal back office
systems) and public (B2B systems like EDI or ebXML).

The current evolution I am seeing in BPM engines (for both private/public
process automation, possibly even using a single engine for both sides) and
candidate standard specifications for such processes (public = BPSS and
private = BPML/WSCI/etc.) leads me to believe that the interface of the public
and private worlds will not be as difficult as you imply. If you can wrapper a
private fulfilment process to appear as a single, atomic service invocation
(pretty easy with things like web services technologies coupled with
workflow/BPM engines) then it is a straightforward matter to call such a
service at the appropriate point in the public process.

> This leads me to the conclusion that while the BPSS and the UMM upon which
> it is based may be valuable tools for documenting and agreeing on business
> processes (for those who find ROI in using them), I see little utility for
> them in the near future for actually automating the execution of business
> processes.

Funny....I'm just about finished implementing a complete end-to-end ebXML
Reference Implementation that starts with graphical/visual modelling of
business processes using UML, generation of BPSS from the UML model and
execution of the processes defined in the BPSS (by an automated BPM which
also invokes choreographed sets of back end Web Services to provide
fulfilment for the transactions).  And it's working end to end.

I see a LOT of utility in automating description and execution of business
processes for the following reasons:

1) Doing such allows Business Modellers/Analysts to create and then execute
new partner-facing processes with a minimum of scarce/expensive IT
resources (including negative consultants who have a vested interest in doing
things the slow/costly way. ;-)  ).

2) Maintenance of these production business processes becomes much more
flexible and faster, allowing businesses to react to competitive pressures more
quickly and effectively.

3) Writing procedural code to implement business processes is like pouring
concrete over your processes.  You might have coarse-grained "services"
exposed, but if you "glue" them together with procedural code, you lose the
bulk of the flexibility and benefits that a service-oriented architecture brings.
Better to specify the processes/workflow/choreography using declarative XML-
based approaches (eg. BPSS for public processes, BPML/WSCI for private
processes) and let a BPM engine do the work of executing the process.

4) One of the key benefits of ebXML is not in the negotiation phase of setting
up a partner relationship (at least not in the near term).  This will likely be a
face to face process (think purchasing/procurement departments, contracting,
etc.) for the forseeable future (especially with large partners).  The CPA will
just be "yet another contracting artifact" produced by the existing contracting
process most companies have.  Where the benefit comes in is, by having an
agreed BPSS and CPA, the two partners can vastly speed up the technical
implementation process of the trading relationship. This benefit does, however,
presume service-oriented back end systems (private processes) that can be
reconfigured in a similar manner (using declarative approaches rather than
proceedural ones) so that linkage of the front office trading systems (ebXML)
to the back office fulfilmnent systems (Legacy, COTS, custom) does not
become a bottleneck.

> Mike (OK - so I still see the glass half empty ;^) )

Hmmm...you sure that is not your brain rather than your glass that you are so
accurately observing?  ;-)

Mike...why is it that every one of your posts and articles is always so negative?
Pointing out shortcomings and issues is not a bad thing....if accompanied with
suggestions as to how to improve matters, something I do not recall you ever
doing.  Standing from afar and just casting stones is not very productive, and
is likely to find some boulders flung your way before too long.

Andrzej Jan Taramina
http://www.chaeron.com