Re: Did ebXML Help Accelerate the Web Services Evolution?

Hi Joe,

Stirring the pot again, huh?

First off, I disagree with your characterization of what happened as a
"schism of sorts".  The most common definition of schism is a division
into
opposing factions.  The ebXML project certainly had its share of political

faults, but schism over the types of technical issues (WS vs. the ebXML
stack) was not one of them.  In fact, my perception was that the Work
Group
was remarkably unified on these points through the conclusion in May 2001.

What I saw happening was more a gradual disengagement by certain vendors
rather than a descent into factionalism.  Calling it a schism is a gross
exaggeration.

Since there really wasn't a schism, one of your questions is, as Marty
said, a no op, since it is based on an erroneous assumption.  The other
question gets, I think, to the heart of your inquiry - "Did ebXML Help
Accelerate the Web Services Evolution".   My opinion is that yes,
definitely, it did.  But, probably not much more so than anything else
that
came before it.  Isaac Newton is quoted as downplaying his own
contributions, saying something like he stood so tall only because he was
sitting on the shoulders of giants.  Same thing with WS.  It is built on
all of the work that went on before.  Not just ebXML, but also EDI, RPC,
XML, CORBA, DCOM, whatever.

What would have happened if these vendors hadn't disengaged?  My hunch is
that we would see many more production ebXML implementations now.  And, of

course, no hype about Web Services!  (and how about that for a pleasant
fantasy to end the week?)

Cheers,

Mike

P.S.  May I suggest that if you decide to stir the pot like this in the
future, you confine your stirring to only one listserv?

At 04:53 PM 3/25/2004 -0500, Chiusano Joseph wrote:
>Thanks all for an excellent, and quite lively, thread.
>
>Joe
>
>Chiusano Joseph wrote:
> >
> > I'm in a bit of a "controversial" (tongue-in-cheek) mood today, so I
> > thought I'd through this out and see what comes back. My thoughts are
> > spurred by a book on that I am currently reading. Please note as you
> > read this that I am in a position in which I am vendor neutral.
> >
> > 3 years ago, when the first phase of ebXML was getting ready to wind
> > down, I was a mere observer on various listservs, so I don't have the
> > perspective of someone who was in the throws of things. However, I've
> > been thinking: Did ebXML Help Accelerate the Web Services Evolution?
> >
> > More specifically: I understand that there was a "schism" of sorts at
> > one point (exactly when I am not sure) in which several major vendors
> > pulled out of ebXML. These vendors happen to be those that are
> > considered to be the driving forces behind Web Services (by this I
mean
> > the "SOAP/WSDL/UDDI"). Web Services.
> >
> > I wonder - if this "schism" did not take place (assuming that it
indeed
> > did), would Web Services have taken off as quickly as they did? Did
this
> > "schism" give more motivation to these vendors to evolve the "base"
Web
> > Services standards as quickly as they were evolved? What if these
> > vendors had not pulled out of ebXML? What would the landscape look
like
> > now?
> >
> > Thoughts? Comments?
> >
> > Kind Regards,