SV: [Fwd: Re: [xml-dev] Edi complexity, does ebxml really reduce it?]

Well I'm the guy who originally asked.

Fra: AlanKotok@cs.com [mailto:AlanKotok@cs.com

> But take a step back and look at the integration of data from trading
partners using different technologies -- often
>acknowledged as the most difficult step in implementing e-business -- and
ebXML stands out.  See for example ...

Some references for arguments about interoperability problems:
http://www.rawlinsecconsulting.com/ebXML/ebXML3.html
(ebXML and Interoperability) And

>Of course, if you're a hub company and can demand all suppliers use the
same formats and networks, you don't have to worry
>about this stuff. For the rest of the business world, however, its an
important concern.

http://www.rawlinsecconsulting.com/ebXML/ebXML4.html (ebXML and SMEs)
the ebxml and SMEs struck me as the most worrisome, probably also because
it
was the one that backed up my initial suspicion that a small or medium
sized
company would have an awful time with this stuff.

Then, reading
http://www.sterlingcommerce.com/PDF/ResourceCenter/RPA-032002-00008.pdf
"The EDI market can be split into two logical units: general-purpose EDI
and
health-care EDI. For the most part, there is very little interplay between
these  two groups and their internal dynamics are quite different from one
another. For  example, the general-purpose EDI area is made up of
participants in many  different vertical sectors that purchase EDI
software
and services from a group  of established vendors that provide basic EDI
functionality. This is by far the  largest segment of the EDI market. The
smaller health-care EDI area is unique in  that the vendors in this space
do
not sell EDI software, but rather charge their  customers for access to
hosted translation and document exchange services that  are specific to
the
health-care industry. This leads to differing technical  requirement
skills
between these two groups as organizations in the  general-purpose area
usually have employees that understand the intricacies of  the EDI
software
and the related data mapping processes (or hire consultants to  provide
this
service), whereas in the health-care sector this function is  provided by
the EDI service provider" it struck me that the second unit of the market,
which is a service-based model, might with ebxml come to be pre-eminent
(does this seem reasonable to anyone) one thing I considered was that
government organizations could perhaps provide ebXML services so as to
make
it easier for smaller businesses to trade with larger organizations.
Shielding the smaller businesses from the complexity and levelling the
playing field.

I was thinking specifically also in the context of WalMart or larger
organizations that could conceivably force ebXML requirements on
suppliers:
http://www.infy.com/knowledge_capital/thought-papers/WalMart_Impact_on_Ret
ai
l-Consolidation.pdf

Sorry if this stuff is somewhat stupid, as I am just trying to come to
grips
with this rather large subject.