Subject: [ebxml-mktg-sc] 9/26/2002: Gartner et al

That can be supported easily with what Todd and I will be working on,
complemented with a high-level, business-focused overview of ebXML
(which my company can provide in the appropriate format).

Thanks.
Monica J. Martin
Program Manager
Drake Certivo, Inc.
208.585.5946

-----Original Message-----
From: Margo, Todd [mailto:Todd_Margo@stercomm.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 26, 2002 9:53 AM
To: 'David RR Webber - XMLGlobal'; ebXML Mkt Steering
Subject: RE: [ebxml-mktg-sc] Gartner et al

I still think it makes little sense to try to "sell" them or "educate"
them
on ebXML. These guys (at least Wes Rishel) very well know what it is and
what problems it is trying to solve. At one time, Wes Rishel was a big
advocate of using ebXML in healthcare. Apparently he has changed his
take.
But as recently as this past June, I sat in a room with him and he was
still
promoting it as "the only thing out there", although he was concerned
about
the window of opportunity.

The reason that some of the other Gartner guys are negative on ebXML is
that
those particular guys come from an EAI background. "Web Services" is
attractive to these guys because Web Services is a new way to do EAI (as
well as B2B). You won't see organizations doing ebXML for EAI. But Web
Services is an easy technology for a developer to personally play around
with and use for internal EAI projects. All the IDEs are supporting Web
Services.

Gartner may be wanting to define their own architecture, but I don't see
it
that way. ebXML is not inconsistent with their "enterprise nervous
system"
concept. It actually fits in very nicely.

Gartner is driven by trends and they try to create trends. If they are
negative on ebXML it not because of technology. It's because their
customers
are not calling them asking about ebXML. Their customers, however, *are*
calling them about "Web Services".

I still believe the only powerpoint that would make any impact
whatsoever on
them would be one that summarizes the current state of adoption,
entitled
something like: "ebXML Adoption -- A Worldwide Update".

Just my 2c.

Todd