ebxml-mktg message

Subject: RE: [ebxml-mktg] ebXML name

I have a pretty good idea of ebXML's name recognition - I go to shows and
read quite a bit.  I also have a good idea of ebXML's perception by those
who know it only by name, and you can't blame them.  None of those articles
and books do any good in promoting ebXML if its potential users don't
initially perceive ebXML as relevant to their problems.  Once they get past
the name barrier and realize ebXML is a vendor-neutral framework for
e-business, that's when all of these resources kick in.  If I think that
ebXML is an XML vocabulary I won't care for it no matter how many articles
are written about it until I need a new business vocabulary for something I
am working on.  So what good is such name recognition?

As I wrote in a previous message, I now favor adopting a profiling mechanism
instead of abandoning the name altogether.  Not that I see anything wrong
with changing the name - you get both free publicity and a better name - but
the idea of profiles makes the name less relevant (thus alleviating some of
my concern) and is IMO worthy of pursuit regardless of what ebXML is called.

Daniel