Subject: Re: [PartyId "type" negotiation]

William,

Ahhh, now the Registry has a policing function? I'd rather
think NOT! That would mean that the Registry would be required
to understand the ML or schema of each item registered to it
and that it had a responsibility to verify the information
(against???) before it were permitted to be formally registered.

I know I wouldn't want to be party to anything of that ilk.

Cheers,

Chris

"William J. Kammerer" wrote:

> Prasad Yendluri said "If one party uses arbitrary partyId 'type' (for
> their own partyId), the receiving party may not have the framework to
> verify the Id to be a valid one per the 'type' (say DUNS)."
>
> Why would you need to validate the DUNS of your potential trading
> partner at all? Wouldn't the registry have done that when the CPP was
> registered?  For example, why would a registry knowingly allow someone
> to use General Motors' DUNS in a CPP unless the registrant were known to
> be General Motors? You should be able to trust the CPP belongs to whom
> it purports to belong to, and the registry has a vested interest in
> ensuring so.
>
> Assuming I trust the registry, I should be able to trust the CPPs
> contained within it.  If a "registry" of the decrepit old EDI model -
> say, Sterling Commerce - tells me that Roadway Express is accessible on
> their network using either SCAC "RDWY" or DUNS "006998397", then I can
> trust them.  If my ISA says send this EDI interchange to whomever has
> the SCAC of "RDWY" I want that data only to go to Roadway Express in
> Akron, Ohio.  Can't ebXML do the same?
>
> William J. Kammerer
> FORESIGHT Corp.
> 4950 Blazer Pkwy.
> Dublin, OH USA 43017-3305
> +1 614 791-1600
>
> Visit FORESIGHT Corp. at http://www.foresightcorp.com/
> "accelerating time-to-trade"

begin:vcard
n:Ferris;Christopher
tel;cell:508-667-0402
tel;work:781-442-3063
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Sun Microsystems, Inc;XTC Advanced Development
version:2.1
email;internet:chris.ferris@east.sun.com
title:Sr. Staff Engineer
fn:Christopher Ferris