Subject: Re: [PartyId "type" negotiation]

Prasad Yendluri said "If one party uses arbitrary partyId 'type' (for
their own partyId), the receiving party may not have the framework to
verify the Id to be a valid one per the 'type' (say DUNS)."

Why would you need to validate the DUNS of your potential trading
partner at all? Wouldn't the registry have done that when the CPP was
registered?  For example, why would a registry knowingly allow someone
to use General Motors' DUNS in a CPP unless the registrant were known to
be General Motors? You should be able to trust the CPP belongs to whom
it purports to belong to, and the registry has a vested interest in
ensuring so.

Assuming I trust the registry, I should be able to trust the CPPs
contained within it.  If a "registry" of the decrepit old EDI model -
say, Sterling Commerce - tells me that Roadway Express is accessible on
their network using either SCAC "RDWY" or DUNS "006998397", then I can
trust them.  If my ISA says send this EDI interchange to whomever has
the SCAC of "RDWY" I want that data only to go to Roadway Express in
Akron, Ohio.  Can't ebXML do the same?

William J. Kammerer
FORESIGHT Corp.
4950 Blazer Pkwy.