Subject: RE: [Fwd: RE: on the issue of PartyId]

Marty,

E.164 formatted international telecommunication numbers are globally unique.

Quoting from one of our drafts (getting from a telco # to a dns entry)
   To find the DNS names for a specific E.164 number, the following
   procedure is to be followed:

   1.  See that the E.164 number is written in its full form, including
       the countrycode IDDD. Example: +46-8-9761234
And from another one of our drafts (what's what)
   E.164 numbers, short codes, service codes and prefixes are
   categorized in dialing plans.  A prefix is an indicator consisting
   of one or more digits that allows the selection of different types
   of number formats, networks and/or services.  Prefixes are not part
   of the number and are part of a dialing plan.  The uses and the
   formats of prefixes are a national matter.  Short codes, e.g.
   emergency, or service codes may be used based on the national
   numbering plan.  Those codes are not universal and typically valid
   only within a numbering domain identified with the same country code
   or country code + network identification code.
The example you cited (location-dependent "numbering") is actually an
instance
of a location-dependent dialing plan, not an actual end-point identifier. To
put this in packet-esse, some local routing information has beed embedded in
the
end-point address (bleech!).

Cheers,
Eric