Subject: RE: missing(?) header element

At this point, it seems to me that the safest way of dealing would be
to use the "Ping" approach that was proposed somewhere in a previous mail.

It depends on what the goal is:

	- if the goal is the one originally mentioned by Chris:

		> The purpose of this element (or attribute as the case may
		> be) is to enable parties to exchange messages prior to
		> actually engaging in e-business, to ensure that their
		> systems are prepared to correctly handle the messages
		> they send eachother.

	  then I think that this is an MSH issue and, for that reason, it
	  is of no-use to send any "application meaningful" payload along
	  with the message.
	  The MSH should be able to use the special type of message (PING ?)
	  as a way to test its readiness to engage.

	- if the goal is to "test" the application layer, than this should
	  be completely transparent to the MSH, IMHO.
	  In this case, the "Test" should be something semantically
	  understood by the application layer and, thus, part of the payload.

	  The MSH should see this as a message to be passed to the Application
	  Layer, as just (almost) any other message. It will be the
	  App layer to understand that this message has a "particular" meaning
	  and to treat it accordingly.

	  Again, the Choreography could specify that this "special" message
	  could be received at some very point of the chain of messages and
	  should be trated in some way.

/Stefano