Subject: Re: AW: [ebxml-dev] RE: [EDI-L] Article on ebXML Core Components ...

At 07:16 AM 4/25/02, Mike Rawlins wrote:

 > Interesting.  However, it says nothing about receiving POs from
 > customers, which QB still doesn't do.  No customer/internal cross
 > references for part number or customer ship to locations.  Bottom line,
 > still extremely lacking for any realistic eBusiness.

There will be a VERY competitive market of e-business add-ons
for Quickbooks.   Are you seriously suggesting that none of them
will allow Quickbooks to receive an electronic PO??  gtfooh.. :-)

Look at the add-ons Mike listed http://www.blocktax.com and
the fact 3000 developers have already bucked up $1000 for the
Quickbooks developer program when it isn't even usable yet.
It is quite possible there will be 100,000 full-time, paid-up Intuit
developers on the Quickbooks and new Quickbooks Enterprise.

For at least 5 years after ebXML enters the market, SMEs will require
a separate, new piece of software which some of us have been calling
the "BCM" -business collaboration manager.  Why?  Because no
SME will rip and replace, and because mass market accounting software
vendors have never produced anything as specialized as ebXML until
they can see at least five-figure additional unit sales for their efforts.
It costs many $millions to implement a major new feature in a
product like Quickbooks and Peachtree.

Whoever creates a really good BCM will blow away all those
little Quickboooks developer network guys, and will provide
interfaces to multiple SMEs software.  Rather like Data Junction
did for file conversions, and Hyperion and Comshare did for
corporate consolidations.

I sense that most members of this list don't want to read more
about the SME accounting software market and imagine those
Quickbooks programs will be dustbin of history but you're wrong.

Let's get serious about the BCM, and what its user interface might
look like, what would be its APIs would look like for a full or partial
BCM?  Let's get some UML diagrams.   Do you really want some
800-pound gorilla to be the dominant supplier of BCMs?  Well
guess who it's going to be, if the ebXML doesn't specify it first,
as a community process.

I am really amazed this group has not specified the semantics
and methods for 'internal integration' between the BCM and
internal software over the past two years.

Todd
Todd Boyle CPA  9745-128th Ave NE  Kirkland WA
International Accounting Services, LLC  www.gldialtone.com
425-827-3107  AR/AP everywhere  www.arapxml.net